December 24, 2009

So, my birthday is over. I made it to 41 with no problem this year. My husband arranged for us to meet my family at a pizza parlor, and then surprised me by inviting my friends too.

So now that my birthday was over, it was time to get a tree. We usually get our tree at a local home improvement store. Our timing was right too because the trees were 50% off and our tree wound up costing $7! When I was little, we lived down the road from a Christmas tree farm and would get our trees from there. After my parents divorced, we didn’t do that anymore. I always liked the tree farm and hope that for at least once, we can give our kids the experience of going to the tree farm and picking out a tree to be cut.

This tree was the first thing that we hauled home in the new van. Now we could have tied it to the luggage rack on the roof, but we didn’t have any twine (and I do realize that we were at a home improvement store that sold it and/or bunjee cords, but we just chose not to buy any) so we put the third seat down in the back and maneuvered the tree in. Unfortunately, for Heather, the tree pinned her seatbelt to the floor when we turned a corner on the way home and nearly strangled her. We did manage though to get the tree and the kids home, safe and sound. We waited a couple of days to put in in the house and decorate because Kevin’s computer desk was still sitting in the corner that we wanted to put the tree in (Kevin’s idea, not mine, just so you know that I didn’t “make” him sacrifice his computer corner). When the tree was finally set up, we decided to decorate it on a night when Kevin’s folks were here. Kevin’s mother (who has Alzheimer’s) used to really enjoy decorating for Christmas. So we thought watching the kids decorate the tree might ignite some kind of spark. She seemed to enjoy it a little. There were some ornaments that we thought she would have loved in the past. There might have been a hint of a spark, but it faded nearly as fast as it came.

Now here we are, at Christmas Eve. So far, today has gone by faster than the days of the past two weeks. I made some fudge for the neighbors and then had the kids deliver those today (Kylin proudly wore his “Santa” hat). After going to the first house and saying “Merry Christmas”, Kylin told Heather, “That was being friendly!”. The kids are anxiously awaiting the morning when they can find out what all of those presents contain. Heather is at the age, where she’s more “ok” with waiting. Kylin is not there, at all. In the past we’ve had something for them to open on Christmas eve, and we do have something. I bought the kids a game (LIFE), but I didn’t wrap it because they were with me when I bought it, so it wouldn’t have been a surprise. So tonight, we’re watching “UP” again (probably the cutest yet saddest PIXAR movie I’ve ever seen), and having the traditional pizza and pie. Then we’ll probably try to play the new game with the kids. Kylin may or may not finish it. We’ll see. He isn’t a real game player (but Heather is). Hopefully the kids will be abl eto get to sleep tonight. We have an early morning, a VERY early morning to rest up for.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s