Hi There!

I seem to be averaging one blog post per year. That wasn’t my intention. But sometimes intentions are pushed to the back burner by circumstances or needs. So, maybe more on that later.

So here we are. About 5 months into the current life of Covid-19 avoidance. So I thought I would share in this blog about how the year has been so far.

When the new year started, I just had a feeling that something big was coming and this was going to be a different year. I didn’t even consider a virus, or any of the other issues going on in the country, to be that “something big”. So before the quarantine was announced, I had noticed that more people were arriving at Costco and lining up outside the front door before the store opened. Once inside, I had noticed that folks were loading up on toilet paper, paper towels, bottled water and disinfectant wipes. One lady really had her priorities in order, as she also had 3 bags of coffee. So I thought that it might be prudent to buy some extra items. I really didn’t feel panicked. Just at peace.

So the quarantine here in Oregon happened kind of suddenly. The day began with hearing that schools were going to stay open, and by the end of the day, schools were all closed. My husband heard from his boss that they weren’t going to switch to everyone working from home, then by 5PM, that changed and he was going to be working from home. Going to church changed suddenly and it was decided that church services would be available to watch online. A lot of adjustment followed.

As some of you know, our adult son is on the Autism Spectrum. He is more secure, when he knows what to expect, and if his routine is unexpectedly changed, even a little bit, he gets really irritated and it takes us about an hour to “talk him down” from his trip to “Bummerville” (and as a parent, I want to tell the bearers of bad news, “Thanks. You aren’t helping”). That happened several times because we’d hear information that sounded hopeful, only to have information declaring the opposite come later. We don’t watch the news on tv, but do stay in touch on Facebook. My husband and I know how to filter the news we do here, but our son doesn’t and that kind of overload that he was seeing on his Facebook feed, was overwhelming to him. It took him about a month to get used to the new routine (and not read as much news) He’s settled into the routine now, but that first month for him was rough. His teacher had to quickly switch to putting together worksheets and e-mailing her students regularly. I think that the fact that he was home-schooled growing up, helped in his ability to adjust to doing school at home. He only saw his teacher two more times before the end of the year, however, she did call each of her students every week to check in with them and answer any questions they had about their lessons.

My husband started his work from home set up in the living room, and Zoom meetings started in the dining room. So I had to watch where I was walking in the house at times, because I wasn’t prepared to be seen in a Zoom call. Eventually, he set his work area up in the garage. He has privacy and there’s a smaller chance of interruptions by family (however, cats interrupt regularly). I will say, that at home, he’s been more relaxed. I think that we’re both more relaxed and well rested because we don’t have to get up as early as we usually do, in order to catch the bus to work and I’m not rushing our son into town to go to school. We haven’t set our alarms since this quarantine started. Waking up naturally has been one of the best things about staying at home.

Another thing that has started from this quarantine, is that we walk more. We started in March, just as a way to get out of the house to see something other than our 4 walls. Then by May, the Rec department at Kevin’s work, put out the challenge of “A Mile A Day in May”. So we extended our walking route to a mile, and then a little over a mile. It’s August now and we are walking just over 2 miles nearly everyday. Things we’ve seen on our walks: many yard and building projects (Which have been fun to watch). Also getting to wave and see our neighbors in the morning as they are out in their gardens or walking as well. We’ve talked about eventually doing a 5K, but we need to work up to that.

That’s the latest. I think that my last post was related to our journey with Financial Peace University, and I’ll come back to that pretty soon. But I thought I’d update you all on how we’ve been during this time that we’re all together, all day, every day.

Be Back Soon!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s