The 40’s Have Begun!!

(Originally posted on December 16, 2008)

Well, this is my first post as a 40 year old, and I don’t feel any different! For the past two days that I’ve been 40, I’ve been ok with the new number. When September first arrived, I knew that this day was coming, but it didn’t bother me that much. I was busy enjoying Fall, teaching my kids, running my errands etc. Then about two weeks ago, it hit me that I was almost to the middle of my life (I plan to live to be 100 ) and I wasn’t at the place in my life where I had hoped to be at this age. When I turned 30, I was just fine with it because I was where I had hoped to be at that age. However the past 10 years brought with it unexpected things that weren’t pleasant at all, and pretty much changed the course of how life went and the dreams that I had had, slowly died, and at times I have felt like I was dying inside as well. If I didn’t have Christ in my life to depend on, I don’t know what kind of choices I could have made. God hasn’t “rescued” me from the hard times and the difficult issues, but He’s certainly helped me through them and is still helping me. (ok, this is probably the end of the not-so-perky-depressing part of this post).

So 40 was coming whether I liked it or not. My sister-in-law and another friend have told me that the 40’s are much better than the 30’s. I hope so, or it’ll be a dull ride. I’ve also heard that the 40’s go by fast. They did for my dad, but I think that had a lot to do with the fact that he was busy raising my sister and watching her get older and not necessarily realizing that he was also getting older. I really hope that the 40’s don’t fly by so fast that I reach 50 and wonder “where did that time go?”

So, anyway, my birthday started kind of early. We were supposed to have some snow, and I woke up early (on my own, because I just don’t have the ability anymore to sleep in), peeked out of the window into the semi-dark early morning and I could tell that the back yard was still green and not white. My husband sleepily asked if I saw any snow and was disappointed when I said “no”. He was able to sleep in a bit longer, I couldn’t. I did finally doze off after Kevin left to make breakfast for me (as the routine goes, Kevin cooks and serves breakfast in bed on my birthday and Mother’s day). I didn’t doze for long because I could hear the kids talking to Kevin as he was cooking. While I waited, my dad called and I visited with him. I think that he’s had a harder time with me being 40 than I was. He just can’t believe that he has a kid who’s 40. He still feels like he’s the one who should be 40 still. Our chat ended just before breakfast arrived. Breakfast consisted of biscuits & gravy, vegetarian sausage, fried eggs and O’Bryan potatoes (I love potatoes for breakfast!) and a vanilla latte, and several presents. My husband gave me a card that reads “More and More over the years, you and I see things the same way. We hold them up close and squint”.

The snow that was forecasted for my birthday, didn’t come. It was pretty cold, and I stayed home because I didn’t want to go somewhere and then have it snow while I was out and then have to drive home in it (for anyone who might be reading this, we only get snow about once per year and it never lasts long so we’re not well practiced in the art of driving in the snow and we all tend to stay home and close schools). I just kind of relaxed a bit during the day, sitting on the couch watching “Gilmore Girls”. While I was watching that, Kevin made a birthday cake (from “scratches” he said as he scratched the box of cake mix–funny guy!) So I had a very good birthday and 40 doesn’t look so dreadful after all.

The snow finally came yesterday. I realized just how ill prepared we were for it. Last year for Christmas, we bought the kids snow gloves (after so many years of knitted gloves, we thought that they might like being in the snow longer if their hands weren’t cold and wet) and we kept them in the kids dressers. So yesterday, the snow is here, and the gloves aren’t in the drawers and we can only find one. So, the kids went out in knitted gloves and they were cold and wet, and the snow wasn’t rolling right for a snowman (according to my daughter) and they were back in the house within 15 minutes. My son decided that he will stay in the house for the duration of the snow. So, I’m on the alert and looking out for the missing gloves (and other gear) so snow will hopefully be more enjoyable to them.

While the kids were outside, I came out with my camera and took pictures of the white neighborhood. The kids noticed that a hummingbird was at the feeder and were calling for me to take a picture. I’ve only seen a hummingbird at the house 3 times in the 11 years we’ve lived here and this one hung around to have his picture taken which was cool. I was able to take about 5 pictures of him while he was in our maple tree. I hope that the little guy stayed in the tree because there were 5 cats roaming around on the ground below who would have loved to have him for a snack!

So today is day two of the snow. Yesterday, the roads were more icy and the bus that Kevin was riding to work bumped into the curb a few times. After work, Kevin had to wait in the freezing cold nearly an hour for his bus to arrive to take him home. He was pretty cold when he finally arrived home. This morning, it was 11 degrees outside. Kevin told me later that the roads were better and he made it to work on time.

So, that’s the latest update here.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s