Our First Day of the New School Year

 (Originally posted on my old blog, September 7, 2010)

I have a high schooler now.
And I have another middle-schooler, at least according to his age, he is one.

I had read about a tradition of another home-schooling family (Sprittibee), in which they take their children out for a “back to school” breakfast on the first day of school.   So we did that last year, and had plans for that this year as well.  Because of limited finances both last year and this one, breakfast was only for the children, and it came from McDonald’s (a.k.a. “Micky D’s” or “Mac & Dee’s Roadhouse” around here).

When I woke up this morning and came out into the livingroom, Kylin was on the couch, dressed and ready to go (I wasn’t).  Heather came out soon after and she dressed for pictures (because she knew I would take them and she didn’t want to look like she had just rolled out of bed).    The plan was, for us to leave as soon as Kevin left for work (he took the bus this morning  so that we could have the car).

When the time came for us to leave, my son was out of the door and waiting by the car, and I was still inside the house, looking for the keys.  I couldn’t find them anywhere, so I finally sent Kevin a text asking if he knew where they were.   As it turned out, he had them.  So he got back on the bus and came home.  While we waited for him and the keys to arrive, the kids decided to get started on their schoolwork early.

So here is my highschool gal

and here is my middle-schooler boy

When my husband arrived home with the keys, we then took him to work and finally made it to McDonald’s for this breakfast

I probably would have ordered a hashbrown for myself (because I LOVE potatoes), but they tend to stick with me longer than I like.

What I really wanted was this:

“Mama’s Little Helper”

So by 9:30 I think, the kids were finally having something to eat

Pay no attention to the table, it has just become a catch-all for a family starting to pack for a future move (and a boy who likes to draw a lot of pictures and then not put his supplies away).

The weather seemed to know that it was the first day of school as well.  We went from decent sunny weather yesterday, to rain all day today.   I didn’t mind too much as it gave me an excuse to make chili and the kids had some hot cocoa!

Eventually, I’ll get back to posting about our Seattle trip, and also about the move that I just mentioned………..when I get another free moment.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s